MISTLEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting – Thursday 6th May 2021 – 7.30pm via the Zoom platform
Councillor J Cambridge (Chairman of the Committee)
Councillor G Carter
Councillor J Chaplin
Councillor R Frost (Up to end of Minute Number 9)
Councillor C Howell
Councillor F Kent
Councillor P Nutter (Vice Chairman of the Committee)
Mrs S Clements – Parish Clerk
District Councillor Coley
One Member of the Public
The Chairman reminded attendees that the Meeting will be recorded.
The Parish Council complies fully with the GDPR.
1. Welcome and Apologies for Absence – Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Coiley (family) and Councillor Lawry (work). These apologies were accepted. Councillors Bell and Peacock were not present and did not offer their respective apologies for absence.
2. Public Voice – The member of the public did not wish to speak.
3. Declarations of Interest – The Chairman of the Committee – Councillor Cambridge declared a pecuniary interest under Minute Number 7.f).
4. Minutes of the Previous Planning Committee Meeting – The Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting held on the 1st April 2021 were received, considered and agreed following the vote. (Proposed by Councillor Chaplin and seconded by Councillor Nutter). (Signed copy in Minute Book and on website).
5. Matters Arising/Updates from Previous Minutes – There were no new updates.
6. The Committee noted Planning Decisions as follows:
a) 21/00360/TCA – 1 Brooks Maltings, Kiln Lane – 2 No. Gleditsia – reduce by 2.5m (Photinia below Gleditsia remove) and other Photinia, Privet and Pyracantha – reduce by 50% – The Committee noted that the LPA has approved this application.
b) 21/00419/TCA – Old School, School Lane – 1 No. Willow – fell – The Committee noted that the LPA has approved this application.
c) 21/00531/TCA – Acorn Village, Acorn Village Community Centre, Clacton Road – 1 No. blue Conifer – reduce by 50%, Yew Hedge – reduce by 30%, 1 No. Chilean Pine (Monkey Puzzle) – remove –
The Committee noted that the LPA has approved this application.
7. Planning Applications/Proposals received from the LPA (Local Planning Authority):
a) 21/00531/TCA – Acorn Village Community, Clacton Road – 1 No. Blue Conifer – reduce by 50%, Yew Hedge – reduce by 30%, 1 No. Chilean Pine (Monkey Puzzle) – remove – The Committee noted that the LPA’s Tree and Landscape Officer has already made a decision under the LPA’s scheme of delegation.
b) 21/0532/TPO – Acorn Village Community, Clacton Road – 1 No. Chilean Pine (Monkey Pine) – remove – The Committee noted that the LPA’s Tree and Landscape Officer has already made a decision under the LPA’s scheme of delegation.
c) 21/00197/DETAIL – Land to the south of Long Road and to the west of Clacton Road – Reserved matters application with details of appearance, landscaping, layout and scale, pursuant to the residential element of outline permission (17/01181/OUT), including up to 485 dwellings, up to 2 hectares of employment land (A2/A3/B1/B2); D8; D1 uses), with associated public open space and infrastructure – To note the amended description – The Committee noted the change in description.
d) 21/00453/FUL – Land at Mistley Place Park, New Road – Proposed development of land to provide Retirement Living accommodation comprising 42 apartments and 11 bungalows with associated amenity and landscaping improvements to Mistley Place Park, new access to New Road and associated works – The Committee noted that this application will be considered at the Extraordinary Parish Council Meeting on the 26th May 2021 at 7.30pm at Mistley Village Hall.
e) 21/00408/LBC – 12 The Green – Proposed creation of two openings at side elevation to facilitate installation of 2 no. sliding sash windows – Following the vote, the Committee recommended that the LPA’s Heritage Officer should make a decision under the LPA’s scheme of delegation. (Proposed by Councillor Chaplin and seconded by Councillor Nutter).
The Chairman of the Committee – Councillor Cambridge declared a pecuniary interest in the following item. The Vice Chairman – Councillor Nutter therefore, chaired for the following item only:
f) 21/00563/FUL – 63 Harwich Road – Proposed conversion of adjoining garage into retail space (Use Class E (a) Formerly Use Class A1) – Following the vote, the Committee recommended approval. It was felt that as the only shop left in Mistley, that this extension will be welcomed. (Proposed by Councillor Howell and seconded by Councillor Frost).
Councillor Cambridge returned to chair the Meeting at this point.
g) 21/00599/FUL – Wisteria House, Heath Road – Proposed single storey side and rear extension – Following the vote, the Committee recommended approval. (Proposed by Councillor Cambridge and seconded by Councillor Nutter).
8. Planning Applications received from the LPA after Agenda distributed – There were no new proposals.
9. 21/00071/LBC & 21/00070/FUL – Swan Basin High Street – The Committee received and noted the information received from the Planning Case Officer. As part of the application process, the Historic Environment Team have been consulted on this application and have stated that they are supportive in principle however more information is required prior to determination.
The Officer has requested that the following information is to be provided: The extent and detail of the interpretation board/plaque is unknown at this stage. The extent to which these mileposts are explained and presented is fundamental to the acceptability of these applications and an interpretation board is likely to be required. The proposal here is for the milestones to be displayed in their non-original location, one being non-original, and the design of the original iron marker being unknown. Therefore, these two markers should be explained in the context of the wider site, identifying their original locations through mapping, and explaining their provenance to avoid misinterpretation. This is particularly important for the speculative proposed replica cast iron mile marker for which no evidence of the original design and form has been provided at this stage. The location, size, materials, and outline contents of this interpretation board should be provided at this pre-determination stage and detailed in the below required drawings. Measured drawings in plan and elevation at an appropriate scale showing the positioning of the two milestones. Measured drawings of the proposed elevations for the cast iron milepost at an appropriate scale and level of detail, including fonts as necessary, informed by historic research and evidence based. The foundry should be able to prepare the drawings as they are likely to need these drawings in making the pattern from which the casting will be produced. Paint finishes (including specification of paint appropriate to cast iron, and to stone) for the cast iron milepost, and also for the stone milepost if it is proposed to pick out the lettering in paint. This information could be conditioned or annotated on the above drawings. The Officer has also stated that the following conditions would be imposed to the permission: Prior to casting commencing, the pattern shall be made available for viewing by the Local Planning Authority (LPA), or a series of detailed photographs shall be submitted of the pattern to be used for casting, to be approved in writing by the LPA. Casting shall be implemented in accordance with the approved details and shall be permanently maintained as such. Expanded details of the interpretation board’s contents to be submitted to the LPA for approval in writing. Once this information has been received, the Case Officer will re-consult the Historic Environment Team for their comments.
Councillor Frost left the Meeting at this point.
10. Public Inquiries, Appeals or Enforcement Matters – The Committee noted various planning enforcement matters in the Village with the LPA and developers.
11. Tendring District Council – New Development – Land off New Road – Street Naming – The Committee received and considered the suggestions. A discussion took place. Following the vote, (proposed by Councillor Cambridge and seconded by Councillor Carter), the Committee made the following recommendations and comments:
• St Michael’s Road
• St Mary’s Lane
• Wesley Road
• Oak Tree Green
• Robert Adam Court
12. Date of Next Planning Committee Meeting – Thursday 3rd June 2021 – 7.30pm – Mistley Village Hall – This Meeting was noted.
There being no further business the Meeting closed at 9pm.