Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting
On Thursday 15th August 2019 in the Village Hall, Shrubland Road at 7.30pm
Councillor J Chaplin (Chairman of the Council)
Councillor J Cambridge (Vice Chairman of Committee)
Councillor G Carter
Councillor R Frost
Councillor P Nutter
Councillor I Peacock
Mrs S Clements – Parish Clerk
No members of the Press or Public were present.
1. Public Voice – There were no Members of the Public present.
2. Welcome and Apologies for absence – Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Howell, Kent and Turner.
3. Declarations of Interest – There were no declarations of interest.
4. Minutes of the Previous Planning Committee Meeting – The Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting held on 18th July 2019 were received, considered and agreed following the vote. (Signed copy in Minute Book).
5. Matters Arising/Updates from Previous Minutes – Minute Number 9 – Public Inquiry – APP/P1560/W/19/3220201 – Land to The South of Long Road and to West of Clacton Road, Mistley – Councillor Cambridge updated the Committee following his attendance at the Public Inquiry on behalf of the Parish Council. Councillors noted that the Inquiry was over four days and that the Inspector carried out an unaccompanied area visit. The Inquiry then reconvened for closing comments. Mr M Rayner attended on behalf of the public, together with District Councillor A Coley, Parish, District and County Councillor C Guglielmi and Parish and District Councillor V Guglilmi. Mr J Hall a local resident attended the Inquiry and went into some detail about traffic studies and issues. Infrastructure concerns were highlighted. The first day included a cross-examination of one expert witness regarding the 5 year land supply figures. Density matters were discussed in great detail. Councillors noted the update received from District Councillor Coley advising that the Inquiry has been deferred until the 29th-30th October 2019. The Clerk was asked to establish why the Public Inquiry has been deferred.
6. The Committee noted Planning Decisions as follows:
a) 19/00876/TPO – 5 Rosewood Park – Holly Trees – reduce overhanging branches from neighbouring property – The Committee noted that the LPA has approved this application.
b) 18/01994/OUT – Land South of Harwich Road – Outline Planning application for erection of up to 100 dwellings with associated vehicular access, landscaping, open space, car parking and pedestrian links – The Committee noted that the LPA has refused this application.
c) 19/0788/LUEX – 1 Harwich Road – continued use as A5 hot food takeaway – The Committee noted that the lawful use certificate has been granted.
d) 19/00941/TCA – 3 Millers Reach – 1 No. Bay Tree – fell, 1 variegated Holly – fell – The Committee that the LPA has approved this application.
e) 19/00942/TCA – 20 Harwich Road – 1 No. Conifer hedge on right boundary – reduce by 40%, 1 No Conifer hedge on left boundary – reduce by 30% – The Committee noted that the LPA has approved this application.
7. Planning Applications/Proposals received from the LPA (Local Planning Authority):
a) 19/01063/TCA – 20 Barley Close – 1 No. Silver Birch – reduce by 30% – Following the vote, the Committee recommended approval of this proposal, given how high it has grown.
b) 119/01067/TCA – 1 Kiln Lane – 1 No. Flowering Cherry – remove – Following the vote, the Committee agreed to recommend referral of this proposal to the LPA’s designated Tree Officer for a delegated decision.
8. Planning Decisions received from the LPA after Agenda
a) 19/01004/TPO – 1 Rosewood Park – 1 No Holly – reduce in height back to previous cutting points and shape in sides – The Committee noted that the LPA has approved this application.
b) 19/01005/TCA – 2 Barley Close – 1 No. Robina – reduce up to 3m, 1 No. Downey Birch – reduce up to 2m – The Committee noted that the LPA has approved this application.
c) 19/01028/NMA – 2 Millers Reach – Non-material amendment of approved application 18/01226/FUL to change doors/screens, roof lantern and “North Light” window from timber sections painted cream to aluminium powder coated “grey” – The Committee noted that the LPA has approved this application.
9. Planning Applications received from the LPA after Agenda – Due to the timescales set by the LPA for the Parish Council’s observations and recommendations in its capacity as statutory consultee to the LPA, the Committee made the following comments;
a) 19/01122/FUL – Mistley Clinic, New Road – Proposed change of use from a clinic to a B1 office, including extensions and alterations to the building fabric – The Committee noted comments and observations received from a local resident. The Committee discussed and noted the history of planning applications on this site, the proposed increase to the footprint, the proposed cladding, the response of Historic England relating to the west side of the building, the car parking provision, potential additional employment for the Village and the reorganisation of the building. Following the vote, the Committee agreed to recommend Approval, subject to the LPA’s Tree Officer checking and agreeing the felling of a number of trees, including Oak and Lime Trees which are protected by TPO’s (Tree Preservation Orders).
10. Overdevelopment of Local Area – The Committee considered this matter. Following the vote, it was agreed that the Parish Council will follow the approach of Brantham Parish Council and wait for the formal planning application. It was noted that the Gladman proposals do not actually fall within the AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty).
11. Public Inquiry– APP/P1560/W/19/3220201 – Land to The South of Long Road and to West of Clacton Road Mistley – Please refer to Minute Number 5 above.
12. Date of Next Planning Committee Meeting – Thursday 5th September 2019 – 7.30pm – Village Hall, Mistley.