Minutes 25 September 2017

Minutes of the Parish Council’s Meeting held on 25 September 2017 in the Village Hall, Shrubland Road at 19.00

Present Cllrs. Birch, Burton, Carter, Chaplin, Fairhall, French, Howell, Kent, Peacock and Rayner. D. Cllr. Coley and seven Members of the Public. Mr. R. Ling (Responsible Finance Officer) and Mr. A. Lee (Clerk)

77.17 Apologies for absence
There were none.

78.17 Minutes of the previous meeting
Minutes of the meeting held on 14 August 2017, having been circulated previously, were agreed as a true record. Proposed Chairman, seconded Cllr. Peacock, were approved unanimously, and signed by the Chairman.

79.17 Declarations of Interest
Cllrs. Birch, Carter and Howell declared a non-pecuniary interest in item 85.17 (a) (iii) (Trustees).

80.17 Public Voice

(a) Tony Clements, on behalf of the Chelmsford Motor Club, made a presentation about the Clacton Stages Rally 2018 Consultation. Legislation introduced earlier this year now permitted public roads to be closed for running motor sports events. Both Essex County Council and Tendring District Council are keen to engage and consultation with local Parish Councils and stakeholders was being undertaken. One of five speed time tests of the race would start from Spinnels Lane, Wix, along Harwich Road towards Bradfield, turning right at the Strangers Home and up along Harwich Road and end in Heath Road. It was envisaged that 120 cars would take part and each would set off in 30-second intervals. There had been preliminary discussions with landowners and Mr Clements had visited them all personally. The majority were in favour with fewer than ten percent objecting. Experienced rally marshals and race officials would communicate by radio. No casual spectators would be permitted. Spectators would be allowed at designated viewing points. Chelmsford Motor Club in conjunction with the authorities would do everything to minimise risk to an acceptable level. Mr Clements answered concerns and questions raised. The Chairman thanked Mr Clements for his presentation.

(b) Melanie Winning was proposing, in order to expand the range of the Vintage and Collectables Market by holding them along The Walls during the summer months. The market on The Walls during Manningtree Regatta (item 50.17 (c)) had been successful. Stall holders had been charged a pitch fee of £10 to cover costs of organisation and promotion. It was proposed that a larger market attracting dealers and a wider range of goods from further afield would bring in more buyers. This might be achieved by a regularly allowing up to 28 pitches along The Walls in addition to the 19 along South Street. The Chairman explained that The Walls was common land, of which the Parish Council managed the greensward. The Parish Council had sanctioned previous events which were organised, insured, and did not impact on local wildlife. D. Cllr. Coley questioned whether a third party could charge to use common land and suggested that Melanie Winning contact the Licensing Officer at Tendring District Council to discuss her plans. It was agreed that no decision be made.

(c) Three members of the public expressed their support and keenness for horse riders to have access to Furze Hill (item 81.17 (b). Local horse riders would be willing to pay to ensure off-road horse riding.

81.17 Matters arising from previous minutes

(a) Item 61.17 – Half-Pipe Skateboard Ramp – The Council considered whether to repair or to decommission the equipment. The equipment had been fenced off following further damage. Between 2013 and 2016, the Parish Council had spent £4,300 in repairing damage caused by vandalism. Cllr. Birch expressed concern about further damage occurring since the site had become a meeting place for youths. Its use for skateboarding, BMX or mini scooters was limited. The manufacturer had provided three options: (i) a short-term repair costing £1,200; (ii) a mid-term repair costing £3,750; and (iii) a long-term repair costing £12,000. Following a discussion, it was proposed with reluctance that the equipment be decommissioned, which was won: with eight for; but two votes against. Clerk to seek quotations. Action: Clerk

(b) Item 58.17 (a) – to consider allowing access to horse riding on Furze Hill – Cllr. Burton.
Cllr. Burton explained her concern about the dangers horse riders had to contend with when riding along local roads. Traffic would increase as more houses were built locally. Cllr. Burton proposed a designated route for horse riders from Green Lane through Furze Hill woods then along up through to Mistley Heath. Local horse riders would pay for a permit and if this was abused then they would lose the facility. The Chairman read out a list of concerns raised by a local resident opposed to the proposal. Objections had been received from landowners opposed to allowing horse riding across their land on which there was a section of the Essex Way (Footpath 4) between Gamekeeper’s Pond and Church Farm House. Green Lane was a Public Right of Way (Footpath 16), as was the footpath between Rigby Avenue and Mistley Heath (Footpath 5). Councillors expressed concern about the impact of horse riding on other users of Furze Hills, particularly about the safety of children and dogs. The Chairman proposed not to move forward to a vote on the proposal until horse riders consider working out a route with landowners.

82.17 Litter Pick-up Event
Cllr. Howell’s proposal that the Parish Council organise a litter pick up event for Saturday 21 October was agreed unanimously. Clerk to ask Tendring District Council for the loan of equipment and bags and arrange with Veolia to collect the litter collected. Cllr. Carter to contact Mistley Norman School about holding a tidy up around the school grounds on Friday 20 October.
Action: Cllrs. Howell, Carter and Clerk

83.17 Councillors to report on meetings attended

(a) Lawford Parish Council’s meeting with Chief Inspector Cole about a proposal for the joint funding of Police Community Support Officers – Cllrs. Fairhall and French reported on the main points discussed. It was agreed that the matter be discussed after the Planning Committee on 12 October.

84.17 Clerk’s Report
The Clerk reported that lease had been signed and agreed between the solicitors of the Parish Council and Mistley Rugby Club. The one street light outage had been repaired by the contractor. The Tree Warden had forwarded two tenders for the creation of a management plan for the woodland at Furze Hill. The replacement tree at the War Memorial would be delivered and planted later in the month. It was agreed that the Parish Council enquire with Tendring District Council about the part-funding of gorse bushes for Furze Hill. The Parish Council’s insurance policy had been adjusted to include the new play equipment at Furze Hill and the changing bed at the Village Hall. The Stour Sailing Club’s request to use part of the greensward on The Walls was agreed unanimously. It was agreed that Cllr. French and the Clerk attend a training event about the Local Highways Panel on 14 November. Action: Clerk

85.17 Planning

(a) Considered the following planning applications received:

(i) 17/01500/TPO – 2 No. Holm Oak – pollard at 3 Rosewood Park – No Comment – defer to Tree Officer – Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk

(ii) 17/01532/TCA – Reduce Holm Oak all over by a maximum of 2.5 metres, ready for a bi-annual trim at Swan House, High Street – No Comment – defer to Tree Officer – Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk

(iii) 17/01183/FUL – Erection of 8 No. apartments and alterations to No. 52 New Road together with access and ancillary works at Morschach 52 New Road – amended block and elevation plans – Objection – to the amended plans and reiterates the objections previously submitted on 10 August 2017 to this planning application – Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk

(b) Considered the following planning applications received after the agenda prepared:

(i) 17/01561/TCA – 1 No. Magnolia – fell at 44 Harwich Road – No Comment – defer to Tree Officer – Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk

(ii) 17/01346/LUEX – To certify that planning permission 14/00081/FUL (allowed on appeal APP/P1560/A/14/2224769) has been lawfully implemented at Mistley Marine, Anchor Lane – No Comment – Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk

(iii) 17/01527/DETAIL – Reserved matters application with details of appearance, landscaping, layout and scale pursuant to phase 1 of outline permission (15/00876/OUT) including 120 dwellings, community building with parking, junior camping field, village green, structural landscaping and playground at land east of Bromley Road, Lawford – Neutral – reiterate concerns previously submitted on 10-08-2015 – Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk

(iv) 17/01609/TPO – 2 No. Beech – roadside boundary – reduce by 30% overall at 35 Harwich Road – No Comment – defer to Tree Officer – Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk

(v) 17/01479/FUL – Alterations and extensions of existing vacant bank premises and change of use to multi-residential accommodation (1 retail unit, 6 flats and 1 house) at 2 High Street, Manningtree – Objection – welcome the continuation of retail premises but object to planning application as the lack of car parking will cause problems – Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk

86.17 Finance

(a) Noted the following Direct Debits and Standing Orders have been paid since the last meeting:
J Hinson £563.33 (salary – August) J Hinson £563.33 (salary – September)
A and J Lighting £864.00 (conversion of The Towers’ lights to LED)

(b) Noted the following cheques have been signed since the last meeting:
R Ling £103.70 (salary – August) A Lee £694.72 (salary – August)
B Forrester £117.60 (wages – August)
R Ling £305.56 (Debit Card payment of tax and N.I. – August)

(c) Approved the following payments:
Wesource £835.00 (Church yard maintenance – August and September)
P Liverton £1422.00 (grass cutting) Came and Company – £5303.53 (insurance premium)
A Lee £129.80 (Clerk’s expenses – stationery and ink cartridge)
Playdale £3604.20 – (deposit on new play equipment)
R Ling £103.70 (salary – September) A Lee £694.72 (salary – September)
B Forrester £147.10 (wages – September)
R Ling £312.36 (Debit Card payment of tax and N.I. – September)
Chairman proposed and agreed unanimously

(d) Considered and agreed unanimously to tender for remedial works to Swan Basin (cleaning of wall and paving around the basin and painting of basin and railings). Action: Clerk

(e) Considered and agreed unanimously to allow a budget of £2,500 in principle for the Fun at the Furze event in 2018. Action: Responsible Finance Officer

(f) Considered and agreed unanimously to make a grant of £500 to the Essex & Herts Air Ambulance.

87.17 Correspondence

(a) A meeting had been arranged for 4 October between the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of Manningtree Town, Lawford and Mistley Parish Councils and the four District Councillors to discuss the implications of a Community Governance Review for the three parishes. The Parish Council to consider on 12 October, whether to respond to Tendring District Council’s proposal to undertake Community Governance Reviews across the District.

(b) Noted letters of thanks for grants from: (i) Suffolk Accident Rescue Service; and (ii) Stour Sailing Club.

88.17 Dates of next meetings all in the Village Hall

Planning Committee Thursdays 12 October and 2 November 2017 at 19.00
Full Council Monday 6 November 2017 at 19.00
Finance Committee Saturday 9 December 2017 at 10.30

There being no further business the Chairman closed the meeting at 21.33.