Minutes 12 March 2018

Minutes of the Parish Council’s Meeting held on 12 March 2018 in the Village Hall, Shrubland Road at 19.00

Present Cllrs. Birch (Vice-Chairman), Burton, Carter, Fairhall and Peacock. D. Cllr. Coley, Representative of the Press, six members of the public, Mr. R. Ling (Responsible Finance Officer) and Mr. A. Lee (Clerk)

16.18 Apologies for absence
Apologies were received from Cllrs. Chaplin, French, Howell, Kent, Rayner and C. Cllr. Guglielmi

17.18 Minutes of the previous meetings
Minutes of the meeting held on 29 January 2018, having been circulated previously, were agreed as a true record. Proposed Vice-Chairman, seconded Cllr. Peacock, were approved unanimously, and signed by the Vice-Chairman.

18.18 Declarations of Interest
Cllr. Carter declared a non-pecuniary interest in item 25.18 (c) (member of Mistley Rugby Club) Cllrs. Birch, Carter and Peacock declared an interest in item 24.18 (d) (members of the Village Hall Management Committee)

19.18 Public Voice
(a) D. Cllr. Coley provided a report from Tendring District Council. Within the last 18 months TDC has received 2,139 reports of fly tipping, ranging from bin bags dumped in an alley to builders’ rubble and asbestos piled high on public open spaces. Tendring District Council officers attend and sift through the waste in a bid to identify the culprits, before the rubbish is cleared away by a contractor once investigations are finished. Prosecutions are currently being considered in some cases. Residents in Tendring are being encouraged to take part in a consultation over plans to extend the boundaries of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty into parts of Essex, including Tendring. Under the proposals, the area would extend south of the River Stour to include the waterfront from Manningtree right along to the edge of Parkeston, including Mistley, Bradfield and Wrabness. England’s first-ever stage rally on closed public roads has been given the go ahead. A review of Tendring District Council-housed tenants has so far saved the authority more than £50,000. A tenancy audit began in September 2017 where Council Officers have so far visited 238 properties. To accompany the ongoing audit the Council is re-launching its Key Amnesty for the month of March, during which time tenants who are committing any type of tenancy fraud have the opportunity to hand their keys back, without fear of fine or prosecution by the Council.
(b) Two members of the public explained their interest in undertaking a project to commemorate the lives of the victims persecuted for witchcraft in the Seventeenth Century. It was suggested that a commemorative plaque could perhaps be sited in a suitable location in Mistley or Manningtree. Interest had been expressed on social media including pledges of donations in support. It was suggested that the members of the public also engage with the Lawford Parish and Manningtree Town Councils, as well as the local history group, then to submit their proposal to be considered by the three local councils.
(c) A member of Mistley Rugby Football Club explained the need to install an additional two training lights at Furze Hill Playing Fields.

20.18 Matters arising from previous minutes
(a) Item 12.18 (e) – To consider a request for a grant from the Manningtree Rail Users Association – Derek Monnery explained the background and purpose for setting up the association and the level of engagement with the Train Operating Companies and other stakeholders, including other railway lobbying groups in Tendring and Essex. The association did not have subscribing members so it was seeking financial assistance from the three local councils to help continue with their lobbying on behalf of train users in the locality. Mr Monnery added that the association was involved with the railway crossing at Manningtree Station. It was proposed and agreed unanimously that a grant of £50 be made.
(b) Item 07.18 – Appointment of a new Clerk / Responsible Finance Officer to the Council – the Vice-Chairman provided an update on the interviews of the applicants. An Extraordinary Meeting of the Council would be considering the interview panel’s recommendation after the close of this meeting.

21.18 Councillors to report on meetings attended
(a) Suffolk Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Partnership – Cllr. Fairhall provided a summary of the presentation event held at the Venture Centre for Local Councillors. The Council needed to respond to the public consultation by 20 April. The Vice-Chairman proposed and it was agreed unanimously that this item be deferred to the next Planning Committee meeting. Action: Clerk
(b) Meeting with EDME directors – Cllr. Fairhall provided a summary of the topics discussed and the company’s future plans.

22.18 Clerk’s Report
The Clerk reported that one street light outage had been reported to the contractor for repair. There had also been two power supply failures in California Road and Beckford Road which had been repaired but had resulted in two street light columns being temporarily removed. One street light had been reinstated following the repair to the power network, but the other was awaiting reinstatement by the contractor. An instance of fly-tipping had been reported to Tendring District Council. Following recent gales, fallen trees in New Road and Kiln Lane had been dealt with by Tendring District Council and the landowners. The outbreak of moles at Furze Hill Second Rugby XV pitch and the Children’s Playground at Furze Hill, The Green and also at the Welcome Home Field had been dealt with by a pest controller. Action: Clerk

23.18 Planning
(a) Considered the following planning applications received:
(i) 18/00283/TCA – 3 No. fir trees – wind damaged – fell at Park Lodge, 16 New Road – No Comment – defer to Tree Officer – Vice-Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk.
(ii) 18/00301/FUL – cover space at side of cart lodge to create a dry log store / mower shelter at Kebunteh, Heath Road – No Comment – Vice-Chairman proposed, and agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk.
(b) Noted that the planning appeal (APP/P1560/D/17/3190979) in respect of the retrospective planning application (17/00893/FUL) for perimeter fence for 32 Harwich Road – had been allowed by the Planning Inspectorate on 5 March 2018.

24.18 Finance
(a) Noted that a grant of £200 has been received from the East of England Co-Op from its Community Token Scheme.
(b) Noted the following Direct Debits and Standing Orders have been paid since the last meeting:
J Hinson £563.33 (salary – February)
A and J Lighting £185.82 and £150.96 (street lights maintenance)
(c) Noted the following cheques have been signed since the last meeting:
A Lee £694.72 (salary – February) R Ling £103.70 (salary – February)
B Forrester £117.60 (wages – February)
HM Revenue and Customs £305.56 (PAYE and NI – February)
Bruce Landscapes £1428.00 (repairs and services)
(d) Approved the following payments:
Wesource £80.00 (maintenance of Churchyard) A Lee £460.00 (Clerk’s annual allowance)
Essex Association of Local Councils £45.00 (course fee)
Command Pest Control £348.00 (moles)
Mistley Village Hall Management Committee £276.25 (rent of lounge for meetings)
Vice-Chairman proposed and agreed unanimously
(e) Considered a request for a grant from the Manningtree Community First Responders. It was agreed unanimously to make a grant of £300. Action: Clerk

25.18 Correspondence
(a) Noted the following:
(i) Letters of thanks from: Citizens Advice Tendring; and Swan Watch.
(ii) Essex County Council Temporary Traffic Regulation Order of Heath Road, Windmill Road, Mistley. Closure of Heath Road, Windmill Road, due to commence on 12 March 2018 for 5 days. The closure is required for the safety of the public and workforce while British Telecom undertakes cabling.
(iii) Footpath Representative’s Report for March.
(iv) Essex County Council Temporary Traffic Regulation Order of Clacton Road, Closure of Clacton Road, due to commence on 16 April 2018 for three nights between the hours of 20.00 to 05.00. The closure is required for the safety of the public and workforce whilst undertaking Phase 1 of Surface Dressing works. Also noted a letter from Essex County Council providing advance warning of repairs along Harwich Road and the High Street on 29 March.
(b) Considered a suggestion that those persecuted for witchcraft in the Seventeenth Century be commemorated by a plaque or memorial. Following a discussion, Councillors expressed interest in the project and to support in principle for a memorial and funding the erection of a plaque. Action: Clerk
(c) Considered Mistley Rugby Football Club’s request to install an additional two training lights, at Furze Hill Playing Fields. Following a discussion, it was agreed that the Chairman and Vice-Chairman meet up with representatives of the Rugby Club to discuss the siting of the additional lights, which would require a planning application (according to Sport England’s website). Action: Clerk
(d) Considered whether to submit a collective view on the priorities and satisfaction levels with the specific services provided by Essex Highways. The Vice-Chairman proposed and it was agreed unanimously that this item be deferred to the next Planning Committee meeting. Action: Clerk
(e) Considered Tendring District Council’s proposal to install a Media Bank to help towards recycling in Mistley. Tendring District Council confirmed that there shall be no cost incurred by the Parish Council. It was agreed unanimously. Action: Clerk
(f) It was agreed not to enter the 2018 Essex Village of the Year competition.

26.18 Dates of next meetings all in the Village Hall

Finance Committee Saturday 24 March 2018 at 10.30
Planning Committee Thursdays 29 March and 19 April 2018 at 19.00
Full Council Monday 23 April 2018 at 19.30 (please note it is preceded by
the Annual Parish Assembly at 19.00)

There being no further business the Vice-Chairman closed the meeting at 20.30.