Minutes of the full Parish Council Meeting
held on 11th March 2019 in the Village Hall, Shrubland Road at 7.30pm
Councillor M Rayner (Chairman of the Council)
Councillor A Birch (Vice Chairman)
Councillor G Carter
Councillor J Chaplin
Councillor F Fairhall
Councillor C Howell
Councillor I Peacock
Mrs S Clements – Parish Clerk
Mr A Lee – Temporary Assistant Clerk
District and County Councillor Guglielimi
Three Members of the Public
1. Welcome and Apologies for Absence – Apologies for absence were received from Parish Councillors Burton and Kent and also District Councillor Coley
2. Declarations of Interest – None were made at this point in the Meeting.
3. Public Voice – During this item, current Parish Councillors Rayner, Birch and Fairhall advised that they will not be re-standing for the Local May 2019 Parish Council Election. Councillor Rayner had been in contact with the local press with regard to potential new Councillors standing. Councillor Rayner suggested that the new Council in May 2019 may wish to reconsider the evening that its full Parish Council meets to make it possible for Councillors who work in London to attend.
4. District and County Councillors Reports – The District Councillors written Report was received and noted. (The County Councillor written Report will follow after this Meeting). The Meeting noted the District Councillors updates including about Manningtree Library, Changes to the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), Planning Applications and Appeals and an update on the Lawford Housing Enterprise Trust. District and County Councillor Guglielimi reported on County Council matters including Apprenticeships with the Adult Community Learning, Special Education Needs (SEND) and three new Schools to be built in Essex, the County Council and its preparations regarding the EU, an appeal for more Foster Carers, Secondary Schools and the preferred list, Highways, Planning and Housing, Environment and Public Health, Finances, and Economic Growth
District and County Councillor Guglielimi left the Meeting at this point.
5. Minutes of the last full Parish Council Meeting held on the 28th January 2019 – These Minutes were received, considered and approved following the vote.
6. Update/Matters Arising from Previous Minutes held on the 28th January 2019 –
• Minute Number 7 – Councillors to Report on External Meetings – The Council noted that the Chairman has written a letter on behalf of and as agreed by the Parish Council, to Essex County Council regarding the Manningtree Library consultation.
• Minute Number 12 – Correspondence – St Mary and Michael Church – Councillors noted that the Clerk has been in contact with the Tree Officer at the LPA (Local Planning Authority), where planning consent is needed as the Yew Trees are in the Conservation Area.
The Church will bring all matters raised to a future Meeting, including the application for a possible Faculty. The Clerk has also received an estimate for the cost of the tree work.
• Minute Number 12 – Correspondence – Water Supply Quotations – The Clerk advised the Council that more detailed specifications for installing a water supply pipe to the “Church Meadow” have been sent to contractors, including maps. However, the Church has confirmed that a Faculty application may be necessary for this project.
7. Councillors to Report on External Meetings attended – Councillors received a brief update as follows:
a) Emergency Planning Meeting – Councillor Chaplin provided an update following the Meeting held on the 5th February 2019. The notes as prepared by Mr A Lee (Temporary Assistant Clerk), who also attended the said Meeting were received and noted. The Clerk attended the next Meeting on the 6th March 2019 and provided a brief update. Councillors noted that maps will be prepared with regard to flooding areas and the location of salt bins. The next Emergency Planning Meeting is on Wednesday 24th April 2019 at 9.30am at Ogilvie Hall, Lawford. Manningtree Town Council, Lawford Parish Council and this Council agreed to include agenda items for May 2019 Meetings to recruit Councillors for the Volunteer Register. The confidential final draft of the Plan will be brought to respective Council Meetings in June 2019 for consideration and agreement.
b) Lawford Housing Enterprise Trust – Councillors received a verbal update following the Meeting and viewings of the Trust Houses on the Hopkins Homes site on the 23rd February 2019 via District Councillor Coley.
c) Mistley Place Park – The Chairman reported on his attendance at this Meeting on the 11th February 2019. He advised that there are no new updates.
d) Mistley Allotment & Leisure Gardners’ Association Annual General Meeting (AGM) – Councillors received a verbal update from the Clerk and the Temporary Assistant Clerk following this Meeting on the 4th March 2019. It was noted that the new allotment plans and layout were discussed, together with rules and regulations, water access points, trees, hedging, paths, vehicular access and waiting lists. Following the vote, it was agreed to set up an Allotment Working Party Meeting on Thursday 21 March 2019 at 8.30pm (following the Planning Committee Meeting of the same evening).
e) Community Litter Picking Event – Councillor Howell reported on this successful community event and wished to thank (via the press and letters) volunteers and the local businesses who’ kindly supported the event, including the Co-op, DeA’th’s Bakery and Tesco.
8. Parish Council Standing Orders and Financial Regulations – The amendments to the Standing Orders and Financial Regulations were noted, where these will be considered for adoption at the Annual Parish Council Meeting in May 2019.
9. HR Policies-Staff Handbook – This was considered and agreed/adopted following the vote.
10. Document Retention Policy – The Council received, considered and approved/adopted this Policy following the vote.
11. Assets Register (in conjunction with Insurance Policy – The Council received, considered and approved/adopted this Register, following the vote, subject to the addition of the petrol strimmer and hedge trimmer.
12. Community Engagement Policy – The Council received, considered and approved/adopted this Policy, following the vote.
13. Manningtree Library – Councillors received an update from the Chairman of the Council following the Working Party Meeting held on the 20th February 2019 in partnership with Manningtree Town Council and Lawford Parish Council and also District Councillor stakeholders regarding the Evidential Argument for a Tier 2 Status under the formal response to the County Council’s Library Strategy Consultation.
14. Clerk and RFO (Responsible Financial Officer) Finance Matters
a) Schedule of Accounts for Payment – This schedule was received, considered and agreed following the vote for payments in the sum of £12,145.65 and as follows:
Date Payee Amount
31.1.19 Essex Wildlife Trust (m/ship) 40
28.2.19 All Staff Salaries (Feb) 1311.86
19.2.19 Essex CC 207.9
28.2.19 TDC (new bins & annual charge) 1003.73
28.2.19 C&W Fencing (playground) 5758.8
28.2.19 AJ Lighting (Middlesfield to Harw) 162.42
28.2.19 Philip Liverton Ltd 420
28.2.19 TDC (Land rear Harwich Rd) 95
28.2.19 Bruce Landscapes Ltd (Bench) 714.92
28.2.19 S Clements (Allowances, stamps) 120.06
28.2.19 Rose Builders Ltd (Panels Furze) 136.98
6.3.19 A&J Lighting 162.42
5.3.19 Village Hall M-Ment Committee 372.5
28.3.19 All Staff Salaries (March) 1311.66
28.3.19 S Clements (Allowances) March 119.5
28.3.19 Essex CC 207.9
b) Internal Auditor – 3rd Quarter – Bank statements are still awaited for this period.
c) Appointment of Internal Auditor – It was considered and agreed following the vote that Mrs V Pretty should again be appointed and should continue in this role for the new Council year. (Section 4 of the Governance and Accountability for Smaller Authorities in England 2018).
d) Internal Councillor/s Checks – This checklist was received and considered. Councillors considered all expected standards and evidence of achievement and agreed to these following the vote. The Chairman and the RFO signed the Checklist. (Copy in Minute Book).
e) Insurance Claim – Street Light – Harwich Road – Councillors noted that although the column and lantern have been repaired and the insurer has agreed to pay, the utility supplier has still not connected the electrical supply to this street light. The Clerk continues to chase this matter.
f) Other Finance Matters – There were no other matters.
15. Casual Parish Councillor Vacancy – The Council received and noted the resume from Mr Jamie Cambridge and his excellent skills set. Following the vote, it was agreed that given how imminent the local elections are that Mr Cambridge be asked to complete the election nomination papers. This he agreed to do and took a set of papers with him.
16. Council’s Website – The Chairman and the Clerk reported on details and pricing received regarding upgrading and updating the Parish Council’s website. A discussion ensued. Following the vote, it was agreed that Eyelid Productions be appointed given that this is the most competitive package and that the organisation has vast experience in setting up and hosting other Parish Council websites. One reason for the upgrade is to make the Council’s website more “user friendly” and compatible with i-phones and search engines. The costs involved equate to £765.00 (comprising £600.00 for the website development, £15.00 for the domain name, £100 for annual website support and £50.00 for website hosting.
17. Shrublands Road Car Park Barrier – Councillors considered this matter and a discussion ensued with regard to key-holders, a possible key code, unlocking and locking, new allotments and allotment tenants, dog walkers, antisocial behaviour and the views of local people. Following the vote, it was agreed to defer this matter until the new dwellings in this area have been completed and to monitor the situation once people have moved into the new residential properties in this area.
18. Parish Council Notice-Boards – Councillors were disappointed to note that its notice boards outside of the Post Office and along Harwich Road do not appear to be viewed regularly by local residents. It also noted that the information/notice board in New Road is not used by the Parish Council but is more of a community board.
Following the vote, it was agreed that the Parish Council’s name should be removed from the New Road board and that it will continue to be used for community postings. The Chairman very kindly agreed to organise this.
19. Correspondence – Councillors noted the following:
a) Essex Energy Switch 2019 – Councillors noted the details of the scheme which supports local people with reducing their energy bills via the County Council.
b) Manningtree Community First Responders – Councillors received and noted the annual update on how the community has been supported during 2018 and they also noted the invitation for a Councillor to attend a future Meeting. (The Group meet every Monday from 7pm – 9pm (excluding bank holidays) at the St John Ambulance Hall in Manningtree). It is hoped that this group will attend the Annual Parishioners Meeting on Tuesday 23rd April 2019 at 7pm in the Village Hall.
c) Essex County Council – Highways – Mistley Footpath Number 7 – Councillors noted that the diversion of this footpath came into force on the 7th February 2019.
d) Essex County Council – Highways – Diversion of Footpaths 10 and 11, Mistley – The Council noted that this diversion came into force on the 18th January 2019. Footpath 11 which commences from a point at the field edge on the eastern side of Clacton Road, running across an arable field in an east-northeast then southeast, then easterly direction crossing the Parish boundary continuing as Footpath 8 Bradfield.
e) Friends of Historic Essex – Councillors noted the AGM on Saturday 6th July 2019 and considered the annual membership subscription of £12.00. However, following the vote, the Council decided not to renew this membership. They also noted the Essex on the Edge one day conference on Saturday 18th May 2019 in Chelmsford which is £30 per person which includes a light lunch.
f) Welcome Home Field Hire Request – This request and the responses received from the Trustees was considered. The Clerk and the Trustees outlined the details. It was agreed following the vote, that this is a matter for the Trustees to consider and not the Parish Council. (The Schedule, Resolution and ownership of this Trust are still pending).
g) Manningtree Town Council – Community Governance Review request – The Council noted this correspondence and the request for a review and further consideration in readiness for the District Council’s full Meeting on the 26th March 2019. (Mistley Parish Council already resolved that it is not in favour of this Review at its Extraordinary full Parish Council Meeting on the 12th October 2017). Following the vote, Councillors considered that this is a matter for the new Mistley Parish Council to review as appropriate from May 2019 onwards.
h) Mistley Church – Request to use Furze Hill Woods – Thursday 11th April 2019 from 10am for around 90 minutes – Following the vote, Councillors agreed to this event on a free of charge basis and subject to the Church liaising with the Kids Club.
20. Dates of Next Meetings
Planning Committee – Thursday 21st March 2019 – 7.30pm and Mistley Annual Parishioners Meeting – Tuesday 23rd April 2019 at 7pm., followed by full Parish Council Meeting at 8pm. All of these Meetings will be held in the Village Hall. The possibility of the new Council in May 2019 changing the days that the full Council meet was noted.
21. Resolution to Exclude the Public and the Press – The Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings Act 1960) and the Local Government Act 1972 ss 100 and 102. The Council is asked to consider and agree to exclude the Public and the Press, since publicity would legally prejudice commercial sensitivity and confidentiality. This was agreed following the vote.
22. Confidential Minutes of the full Parish Council Meeting held on the 10th January 2019 – The Council is asked to receive, consider and agree these Minutes.
23. Update/Matters Arising from the Confidential full Parish Council Minutes’ held on the 10th January 2019 – The Council is asked to receive any updates.
24. Staffing Restructure – The Council is asked to receive an update from the Village Hall Committee.
25. Staffing National Salary Awards – The Council is asked to consider and agree the recommendations from the NJC (National Joint Council), NALC (National Association of Local Councils) and EALC (Essex Association of Local Councils).
There being no further business the Chairman closed this part of the Meeting in order to facilitate the closed, confidential part of the Meeting. The three Members of the Public left at this point also.
Signed ……………………………………………………… ..……Chairman Date ……………….